The Grey Street Juma Masjid is one of the city's most popular tourist attractions and is an excellent example of local Islamic architecture. The original structure, built in 1881, accommodated 48 worshippers. In 1884 it was demolished to make way for a new structure, and was further enlarged in 1903 in order to double its capacity as well as incorporate an arched verandah. In the following year, a minaret, which still stands today and was reportedly built by artisans from India, was added by Durban architect Arthur Cross.
Two shops were also added on the Grey Street side, and another minaret built in 1905. In 1926 architects Payne & Payne were commissioned to prepare additional plans for shops and flats along the Grey and Queen Street peripheries. The original minaret was retained, with an additional minaret built over the shop at the corner of Grey and Queen Streets. The present Grey Street masjid, completed in 1943 and designed by architect William Barboure, is one of the largest mosques in the Southern Hemisphere.