Durban Buildings & Architecture


The Architects of Durban and KwaZulu-Natal were asked to recommended local Architectural Landmarks to delegates of the UIA2014 Conference. The list is a selection of interesting buildings to visit or view, including some not-so-often visited or publicised sites and some iconic sites.

The list of 31 buildings is a result of a “Spot My Durban” vote with participation by local Architectural Professionals. The selection process started with nominations of buildings of architectural value, any age, style or use. Some have sentimental or cultural value and some are recognised because they are survivors. Each has been recognised for their contribution to Durban’s architectural landscape. After the UIA conference the buildings will carry a permanent plaque and will contribute to architectural tours for visitors and school children. The aim of the identification is to start to protect the City’s architectural Heritage for future generations.

The buildings will be indentified with banners and signage for the duration of the UIA conference.

300 Manning Road

300 Lena Ahrens Road, Glenwood, Frolich & Kass, 1949.

Addington Children’s Hospital

Between Princes Street to the West, Erskine Terrace to the East and Beach Avenue to the South, Addington, Chief of the Public Works Department - J.S. Cleland, 1929 -1931.

City Hall

Church St, Woolacott, Scott & Hudson, 1903-10.

Colonial Mutual Building

330 Dr Pixley Kaseme / West Street, Hennesey & Hennessey / L.A.Elsworth, 1931-33.

Durban Club

Margaret Mncadi Ave, Wells & Ingham, 1899-1904.

Durban Station

Cnr Of Monty Naicker & Soldiers’ Way Sts, Street-Wilson & Fyfe, 1894-98, 1903-04.

Electric Ladyland

5 Bellevue Rd, Kloof, OMM Design Workshop, 2000.

Emmanuel Cathedral

48 Cathedral Rd, Street-Wilson & Paton, 1902-04.

Ethekwini Municipality Electricity Training Centre

Cnr of Umgeni Road, 17 Supply Rd, Springfield Park, McCaffery Wilkinson and Little, 1998.


411-23 Dr Pixley Kaseme (West) St, WE Robarts, Norman W Gallagher, 1898-1901.

Grey Street Juma Masjid

Cnr Dr Yusuf Dadoo And Denis Hurley St.

Haven Court

133 Margaret Mncadi Ave And Fenton Rd, Esplanade.

House Biermann

38 Glenwood Drive, Westridge, B.E. Biermann , 1961.

House Shaw

128 Lamont Road, Glenwood, Hallen and Dibb, 1969.

Howard College

Mazizi Kunene Road, (King George V Ave), within the University of KZN Durban campus from entrance gate no.1 , University of KwaZulu-Natal, W. Hirst, 1929 -1931.

Hulett’s Head Office (Now Glass House)

309 Umhlanga Rocks Dr, La Lucia Ridge, Hallen, Theron & Partners, 1973-77.


478 Currie Rd, Essenwood.

Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre (ICCD)

Cnr Bram Fischer And Walnut Rd, Stauch Vorster, Hallen Custers Smith, Johnson Murray, With Philip Cox, Sydney, Australia, 1994-97.

KZNSA Gallery

166 Bulwer Rd, Glenwood, Walters & Cohen, 1995.

Las Vegas

167 Snell Parade, North Beach.

Lion Match Factory

892 Umgeni Road, Stamford Hill, Ing & Jackson Architects, 1925-1927.

Mariannhill Mission Station

10 Monastery Rd, Mariannhill, 1882-1919.

Millennium Tower

Bluff, sound space design cc with Alex Pienaar, 2000-02.

Moses Mabhida Stadium

Cnr Isaiah Ntshangase Rd And Masabalala Yengwa Ave, GMP International With Ibhola Lethu Architects, 2006-10.

Moses Mabhida Station

Isaiah Ntshangase (Walter Gilbert) Road, West of the Stadium, Stamford Hill, Arup Interchange Design Group, 2010.

Moyo Restaurant

On uShaka Pier, Koop Design Studio, 2010.


303-313 Anton Lembede St., Norman Eaton, 1961-65.

Quadrant House

114-117 Margaret Mncadi Avenue, Ritchie McKinley, 1929-1930.

Sugar Terminal

Maydon Rd, Sir Eric Millbourn With Franklin & Garland, 1962-65.

Surrey Mansions

323 Currie Rd, Langton & Barboure - William B Barboure, 1937.

The Workshop Shopping Centre

Dr. A. B. Xuma St, NGR Engineer, conversion by Bentel Abramson & Partners, 1904, converted to retail 1986.